A report of the 3rd Transboundary Resources Assessment Committee Meeting : assessment of the Georges Bank Atlandtic cod stock for 2000
Advanced Search
Select up to three search categories and corresponding keywords using the fields to the right. Refer to the Help section for more detailed instructions.

Search our Collections & Repository

All these words:

For very narrow results

This exact word or phrase:

When looking for a specific result

Any of these words:

Best used for discovery & interchangable words

None of these words:

Recommended to be used in conjunction with other fields



Publication Date Range:


Document Data


Document Type:






Clear All

Query Builder

Query box

Clear All

For additional assistance using the Custom Query please check out our Help Page


A report of the 3rd Transboundary Resources Assessment Committee Meeting : assessment of the Georges Bank Atlandtic cod stock for 2000

Filetype[PDF-2.75 MB]


  • Alternative Title:
    Assessment of the Georges Bank Atlantic cod stock for 2000
  • Description:
    This report presents an updated analytical assessment of the status of the Georges Bank cod Gadus morhua stock (NAFO Division 5Z and subarea 6) for the period 1978-1999 based on analysis of USA and Canadian commercial landings and effort data and research vessel survey data through 1999. Estimates of 1999 fishing mortality and spawning stock biomass, 2000 beginning year stock size, and the precision of the fishing mortality and spawning stock biomass estimates are presented. Total commercial landings of Georges Bank cod in 1999 were estimated at 9,880 mt, a 12% increase from the 8,800 mt landed in 1998. The USA fleet landed 82% of the total, and the Canadian fleet landed the remaining 18%. Commercial landings per unit of standardized effort (LPUE) declined to a record low in 1995, then increased in 1996 and 1997 and have remained relatively stable through 1999. Fishery-independent surveys, conducted by the Northeast Fisheries Science Center, show a similar decline in both biomass and numbers of cod since 1982. The 1999 indices remain well below the long term average. Recent recruitment indices of age 1 cod remain among the lowest in the time series, however, indices of age 2 fish indicate that the 1996 year class is about average. Spawning stock biomass declined from about 92,000 mt in the early 1980s to a record low of 20,000 mt in 1994 and has since increased to 35,000 mt in 1999. Mean biomass exhibits similar trends. Fishing mortality doubled between 1979 and 1985, increased to a record high of 1.42 (70% exploitation rate) in 1994 and has since declined to 0.22 (18% exploitation rate) in 1999. Recruiting year classes have been well below the long term average (16 million fish) since 1991.
  • Content Notes:
    by Loretta O'Brien and Nancy J. Munroe.

    "December 2000."

    Chiefly tables.

    System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader.

    Includes bibliographical references (pages 10-11).

  • Document Type:
  • Rights Information:
    Public Domain
  • Compliance:
  • Main Document Checksum:
  • File Type:

Supporting Files

  • No Additional Files

More +

Related Documents

You May Also Like

Checkout today's featured content at repository.library.noaa.gov

Version 3.21