History of weather observations. Austin, Texas 1842-1948
Corporate Authors:Climate Database Modernization Program (U.S.)
Description:"U.S. Army surgeons began taking weather observations in the Austin, Texas, area in April 1845. These observations continued off and on until July 1875 at several different locations. In February 1852, Dr. Samuel K. Jennings, Jr. began the long history of civilian observers in Austin. The observations began at a farm south of the Colorado River which later became the site of the Texas School for the Deaf and the second observer, Jacob Van Nostrand, the first Superintendent at the school. Mr. Van Nostrand recorded observations from 1858 until 1876 when De Witt Clinton Baker and his daughter took over the program. Following the Baker's, a series of druggist continued the efforts downtown from 1883 until 1905. From 1905 until 1926 the observations were taken on the campus of The University of Texas at Austin. The Weather Bureau then assumed the observing duties at several sites in downtown Austin including the Littlefield Building and the U.S. Court House. In August 1942, the observing site was moved to the Robert Mueller Airport. A prominent Austin citizen, Sir Swante Palm, recorded observations from his home in downtown Austin from December 1857 until January 1867. For thirteen years, 1890-1903, Dr. Q. Cincinnatus Smith recorded observations from his office in downtown Austin"--Executive summary.
You May Also Like: