| The history of weather observing in Fort Gibson, Oklahoma 1824 - 1890 - :1237 | National Environmental Satellite and Data Information Service (NESDIS)
Stacks Logo
Advanced Search
Select up to three search categories and corresponding keywords using the fields to the right. Refer to the Help section for more detailed instructions.
Clear All Simple Search
Advanced Search
The history of weather observing in Fort Gibson, Oklahoma 1824 - 1890
  • Published Date:
Filetype[PDF-1.33 MB]

  • Personal Authors:
  • Corporate Authors:
    Climate Database Modernization Program (U.S.) ; Midwestern Regional Climate Center (U.S.) ;
  • Description:
    "In 1873 the U.S. Signal Service began taking weather observations in a part of the town of Fort Gibson known as 'Old Town.' The office was located in the Nash Building which was at the bottom of the hill containing the Army post. For much of the time from 1873 into 1882, concurrent weather observations were taken at the Signal Service Office and at the Post Hospital located approximately one-third mile to the northeast. No significant information was found regarding weather instruments used by the Army surgeons at Fort Gibson. However, publications of the Army Surgeon General's Office in 1844, 1850, 1856, and 1868 provided general documentation of the observation process at forts for the period. Station journals and inspection reports for the Signal Service Office defined instrument location and exposure for the nine years the office was in operation. 2 The Signal Service moved the Fort Gibson office to Fort Smith, AR in 1882, but the post continued to function for another eight years, with Army surgeons taking weather observations. In 1890, the Army closed the fort and the surgeons ceased taking weather observations at Fort Gibson"-Executive summary.

  • Document Type:
No Related Documents.
You May Also Like: